If you are getting any of the following error messages with Microsoft Outlook 365 or Outlook 2016:
The file is corrupt and cannot be opened
Word experienced an error trying to open the file
Microsoft Outlook (Protected View) has stopped working
You then could be prompted to try some suggestions:
Check the file permissions for the document or drive
Make sure there are sufficient free memory and disk space
Open the file with the Text Recovery converter
These errors message show up as Microsoft Office trust settings prevent you from opening untrusted files.
Follow these steps to get rid of this error:
- Open Microsoft Word
- Go to File > Options > Trust Center
- Now click on Trust Center Settings
- Click Protected View in the left pane
- Now uncheck the box: Enable Protected View for Outlook attachments
- Click OK to save changes in Trust Center window
- Click OK in Word Options
- Close Word
You will need to repeat all the above steps in Microsoft Excel as well.
Now attempt to open an email with a Word document attachment.